-->

Monday, November 22, 2010

Narkol Diye Brussel Sprouts- Spicy Brussel Sprouts stir/fry with Coconut


I must admit that one thing which we keep wishing is, the weekend holidays. But the moment with it comes, it’s gone also. I mean you start off getting late on Saturday, and then you realized that half of the day is gone while you were sleeping and being lazy. Saturday and Sunday means, late breakfast which is more or less is a sort of brunch for us and then we head out for some outings.
My hubby dear S doesn’t like to spend his Saturdays in home. Even I say that noops I am going to spend time in home. He would say you always spend time in home, its’ just that you need to get some fresh air also. And you have the entire weekdays to spend in home. Outings are good for your mind and body as well. A kind of person he is and as far as I have known him, I would say he likes to take his back-pack and leave out as soon as it’s holiday or weekend. He has very much mellowed down after our daughter is born, become more serious and a pro-active, possessive father too.
And the kind of bond these two shares, I mean there are particular times when I am not even allowed to enter their space. They would go out for dating sans me and would eat doughnuts and pastries, a way of expressing freedom, love in their own terms I guess. I do think every father-daughter relationship is like that a kind of special bonding.
Sometimes if they are in good mood, they would bring some for me also but that’s those rare occasions.
Most of the travel account that you read here are solely his ideas. He comes up with all ideas and then we plan accordingly. My contribution is only taking some snaps for my blog which he finds sometimes astonishing. But would patiently wait till I finish taking some snaps before we hop on to other place. He doesn’t believe in face book and twitter. He would say why I want to keep track of those friends/batch mates whom I have forgotten or lost account after passing school, college etc. If they were that much of important in my life, I wouldn’t have lost account of them in first hand. So, when I opened a face book account, yeah I have finally managed to do so. He was smiling and said you are also in peer pressure which was a very soft way of telling me you also succumbed to these modern social networking sites!!. I couldn’t disagree on that even I wished to.
I must say, the kind of happiness blogging gives me; face book hasn’t still allured me. I am there but still can’t figure it out much. I find true comfort here interacting with you all.



Now, to the recipe for the day.
Brussels sprouts are these cute little cabbages, green and a very healthy option of having a vegetarian stir/fry. Those of you, who read this blog regularly, know my inclination towards simple vegetable stir/fry. I finely chopped Brussels sprouts and then made a dry stir/fry with coconut. I do think that if I had some soaked brown chick peas or chana , that would have been even better. This dish was well eaten by my picky-eater daughter and Hubby dear also. We had it with rotis.


Narkol diye Brussel Sprouts

Recipe Requirements and Method



Half a packet of Brussels sprouts or approx 2 large cups of Brussels sprouts, chopped as finely as possible.
About half a cup of fresh coconut scraps or very small pieces
For the tempering
1 tsp of panch phoron
2-3 dry red peppers
1 tsp of turmeric chowder
2 tsp of red pepper powder
Salt as per taste
1 tsp of sugar
2-4 tbs of cooking oil
Method
Chop Brussels’ sprouts finely.
Now heat up a pan, add oil, and temper it with panch phoron, dry red peppers.Tip-I would suggest to use " Shokno Dhani Lonka",  or small extra hot dry red peppers for that spicy kick in this dish.Or you may use fresh crushed hot dry red pepper available here in packets.
Now add fresh scraped coconut or coconut pieces.Tip- if you are working with fresh coconut.Soak them overnight in water, the other day use your wooden rolling pin to break the outer hard covering.It's much easier this way to handle the coconut.One of my South Indian friend here told me to try it this way.And yeah it worked very well.So, dont need to think about the left-over coconut pieces.Simply freeze them in zip-seal packets with date written.Stays fresh for months.I have still two batches of zip-sealed coconut in my freezer which I will be using up to make Narkel nadus and some fish curries.

Add the chopped Brussels’ sprouts, add all the seasonings
Red pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt and sugar.
Fry well for 7-9 mints at medium –low flame or till Brussels sprouts shrinks.
Now if you wish you may add some soaked black gram peas or brown gram peas.
Cover it and cook further 5-6 mints at low.
Open the lid, and stir/fry it well.
Add 1 tbs of butter and 1 tsp of black pepper powder.You may add about 1 tsp of sugar, but it's not necessary.
Serve with rice or roti what ever way you like to have it.

Happy Cooking Friends

9 comments:

  1. nice recipe....i am poor in cooking anythg with b sprouts...so this idea is invited.
    Biny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomar hubby'r sathe amar anek mil ache. Ami o saturday hole, kothao berate jete bhalobashi, especially Summer e. Kintu ekhane to janoi, most Saturday loker bari nemontonoo etc. tei kete jai, tar cheye amar baire jete onek beshi bhalo lage.
    FB sombhondeo ek mot, ekhono amar kono personal acct nei.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and yummy stir fry....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a new stir fry to try, thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suja,
    thanks for liking it..

    Biny,
    yeah, we do get a lot of brussel sprouts here, and it's a great way of having a vegetarian dish.

    Sandeepa,
    amra agey onek nemontonno te jetaam, ekhon onek kom hoye geche..saturday te bairey ghorte beshi prefer kori..fb te amar O kono personal acc neyi..amar blogging hi korte bhalo lagey jota samay bar korte pari roj e din -charya thekhe..

    Pushpa,
    thanks and warm welcome here..

    Priya,
    yes it's indeed a great stir/fry option ..
    thanks all for coming here
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the bengali or local term for brussels sprout ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question. As far as I know ..Brussel sprouts is not a native vegetable of India, mostly is grown in Europe, North America. So our older relatives dont have any recipes with it and the local term for it also..I can just assume " Choto Bandhakopi" can be used... that too am not sure..

      Delete

Thank you for taking out some time from your busy schedule to post here.Please Do not spam this space.